[Gluster-infra] Marcelo Barbosa presentation

Michael Scherer mscherer at redhat.com
Thu Feb 12 16:57:21 UTC 2015

Le mercredi 11 février 2015 à 21:29 +0100, Niels de Vos a écrit :
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 01:37:35PM +0100, Michael Scherer wrote:

> > > That definitely sounds like a very good way forward! It would be great
> > > if you can post some documentation about the salt setup in the wiki or
> > > somewhere else.
> >
> > When it is finished, yes :)
> >
> > ( and when we decide if we keep wiki, use something else, etc )
>
> I do not think it needs to be finished. Something, somewhere where
> others can add more notes/details would be helpful. It's all about
> getting a start for it available, and give others the ability to
> contribute.

So, to quickly explain.

We have salt-master.gluster.org, on rackspace. There is 3 git
repositories ( in /srv/git_repos/, I think ) :
- one for gluster states ( ie, the code )
- one for data (  pillars, in saltstack terms )
- one for private data, same as the 2nd, but not to be published.

There is post commit magic extracting all of this and triggering run
from the master to the minion, applying states and stuff.

However, currently, the server is set as "log as root with key", and I
would want to have a set of user in a group to be able to push. But for
that, I need to double/triple check permission on the repo, and make
sure salt do not helpfully fix them ( the salt-master is managed by
saltstack ).  I did sent a patch to them for that, who was merged and
likely in a release now.

But before that, no one can contribute much.
And of course, I need to explain how saltstack work, and document what
is currently managed, which servers, etc :)

Would people need more informations ( as it is not obvious what is
missing right away ) ?

I would ideally have some kind of ldap ( maybe go with freeipa ), and
more important, having a place to publish the configuration ( rather not
do that from slat-master ), and I am not sure if we want to do that from
the forge, github or something else.

Open Source and Standards, Sysadmin