[Gluster-infra] New repository glusterweb created in github

Justin Clift justin at gluster.org
Tue Apr 14 17:15:33 UTC 2015

On 14 Apr 2015, at 14:41, Vijay Bellur <vbellur at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 04/14/2015 06:43 PM, Soumya Deb wrote:
>> I think we needed to set ourselves to what we intend to do there.
>> Else it may end up being another playground/experiment.
>>
>> (for e.g. https://github.com/GlusterFS/glusterfs.github.io, available
>> as http://glusterfs.github.io/ - an effort by skynet, on old gh-org).
>>
>> For what I understand, there already happens to be 2+ separate repos
>> for that same matter - not clear to me why are we starting another,
>> or what all are the action items on this one, and what happens to
>> the other repos going forward (especially, what goes live for 3.7?).
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> We own only github.com/gluster. Not sure who skynet IRL is and what
> their intention in owning github.com/GlusterFS is about.

github.com/GlusterFS is a guy who's a fan, and does stuff with Gluster.

He's friendly, and gave my user admin/owner status on that org
(github.com/GlusterFS) a while back to show he has no ill intentions.
(just checked, I still have admin there)

If we want to do something in there, we can ask him.  Not really seeing
a benefit of it though over our own main repo. ;)

<snip>
> 1. Move the forge site repo to gluster on github.

Yep.  This is definitely the way forward for the Forge, and bits of
code are being developed to make this happen.

Initial code for stats collection was created yesterday:

  https://github.com/gluster/forge

It's designed to be run daily from cron, collect specific stats, and
then stick them into a SQLite3 database.  The stats it collects are:

  * # of commits since midnight
  * # of GitHub watchers
  * # of GitHub stars
  * # of GitHub forks
  * total # downloads from the releases page for the project

> 2. Deprecate/Nuke forge after the import.

The idea is to have a front "forge" page which lists our
projects, and shows the ones with the most activity.  Pretty
much the same as we have on the front page of the Forge
now... but updated daily using the status from the collection
thing above.

Note - it wouldn't be hard to update this more than daily.

"Pick a time interval" that seems useful, and we can do that.
(hourly maybe)