[Gluster-infra] [Gluster-users] Which version of GlusterFS do you recommend?

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Wed Nov 19 21:39:29 UTC 2014

On 11/19/2014 01:34 PM, Justin Clift wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 17:26:15 +0100
> Andreas Hollaus <Andreas.Hollaus at ericsson.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm curious about the different 'families' of GlusterFS (3.4, 3.5 &
>> 3.6). What's the differences between them and how do I know which one
>> will be most suitable for my application (depending on if I
>> prioritize robustness or lots of features)?
> Hmm, this is might help from the robustness/features perspective: :)
>
>   * 3.4.x series has been around for ages now, so is pretty battle
>     tested.  We still release patch versions for this for important
>     bugs which show up.
3.4 has some, imho, critical known bugs with fixes that have already
been applied to 3.5 and were not backported. For this lack of support I
no longer recommend 3.4.

>   * 3.5.x series has been around a while as well, and is also pretty
>     well tested by now.  It has more features / and several internal
>     optimisations/improvements over the 3.4.x series.  We release
>     patches for this series too for important bugs that show up.
This is the version I currently recommend.

>   * 3.6.x series just came out.  It's our latest and greatest feature
>     set, but may be a bit "bleeding edge" until the next patch release
>     (3.6.2), which should be coming out soon.
I'm still waiting on significant reports of success before I'll
recommend 3.6. I also watch for bugs that can only be fixed in this
release, or lack of support for prior releases, or significant
improvements in usability before I upgrade my recommendations.