[Gluster-infra] [Gluster-users] Which version of GlusterFS do you recommend?

Justin Clift justin at gluster.org
Wed Nov 19 21:34:01 UTC 2014

On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 17:26:15 +0100
Andreas Hollaus <Andreas.Hollaus at ericsson.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm curious about the different 'families' of GlusterFS (3.4, 3.5 &
> 3.6). What's the differences between them and how do I know which one
> will be most suitable for my application (depending on if I
> prioritize robustness or lots of features)?

Hmm, this is might help from the robustness/features perspective: :)

 * 3.4.x series has been around for ages now, so is pretty battle
   tested.  We still release patch versions for this for important
   bugs which show up.

 * 3.5.x series has been around a while as well, and is also pretty
   well tested by now.  It has more features / and several internal
   optimisations/improvements over the 3.4.x series.  We release
   patches for this series too for important bugs that show up.

 * 3.6.x series just came out.  It's our latest and greatest feature
   set, but may be a bit "bleeding edge" until the next patch release
   (3.6.2), which should be coming out soon.

This makes me realise we really need a version/features table on the
website, with ticks and crosses to show which version of GlusterFS
added what. :D