[Gluster-infra] Backup strategy for our infrastructure?

Louis Zuckerman me at louiszuckerman.com
Thu Aug 21 03:17:48 UTC 2014

IMHO we should start with whatever backups the rackspace cloud platform
provides.  It would be nice to also have off-rackspace backups, but I dont
know how/where we could store them.

Rackspace has two options that look good to me.  Simplest is scheduled
server images.  These are whole-server snapshots, which should be easiest
to restore just by launching a new server from an image.  Rackspace does
not recommend this as a complete backup strategy but I think it would be
sufficient for starters.  It's definitely the easiest to set up.

Next would be Rackspace's backup service, which requires installing the
backup agent daemon -- a simple package install followed by setting a
username & API key.  I don't know how restores work with this option, but I
will try it soon & follow up with more info.

Read more about the differences between these options here:
http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/article/rackspace-cloud-backup-vs-cloud-server-image-backups

In order to "kick the tires" on these two alternatives, I have set them
both up on my SonarQube server, the one called gluster-sonar in the RS
control panel.  I'll check back after a few days to see how the backups are
going, and test a restore from both services to compare.

Can anyone suggest an off-rackspace backup solution we could use in
addition to these services?

All the best,

-louis