[Gluster-infra] configuration management for the gluster infra, RFC

Michael Scherer mscherer at redhat.com
Wed Aug 20 14:57:05 UTC 2014

Le mercredi 20 août 2014 à 14:47 +0100, Justin Clift a écrit :
> On 20/08/2014, at 10:12 AM, Michael Scherer wrote:
> <snip>
> > While i can see why you would put -1 to ruby, it has to do with
> > dependencies issues, or another problem ?
> >
> > ( cause from my own experience, puppet is in ruby, but thereisn't much
> > dependencies issue, except when they did changed from ruby 1.8 to ruby
> > 2.0 and puppet 3 )
>
> My strong impression is that Ruby is an unstable language (eg "fast
> evolving") and has negative care about backwards compatibility.  So,
> best to not use it for anything we expect to keep around for _years_.
>
> Unless we want to dedicate some % of people's time to upgrading stuff
> in the future, purely because Ruby is no longer compatible with the
> versions of things we're using.
>
> I'd rather not do that, so lets choose something based on (say)
> Python, such as Ansible. :)

Technically, there is also salt, or cfengine. But again, before choosing
a system, I prefer gather requirements :)

> > We only test on EL6 and EL7, that's it ? No Fedora jenkins, or
> > anything ?
>
> Not sure what you mean here?  We run regression tests on CentOS 6,
> NetBSD, FreeBSD, and (upcoming) OSX.  Fedora regression testing
> will come along in a bit, as well as CentOS 7 (so we can test
> non-xfs filesystems).
>
> Is that what you're asking about? :)

Yep.

I do have a quite old servers, and using puppet on it is a bit a pain,
as this requires a newer ruby, etc, etc.

So the age of the age of server we have do matter a lot. For example,
ansible doesn't work with RHEL4.
Open Source and Standards, Sysadmin