[Gluster-infra] configuration management for the gluster infra, RFC

Justin Clift justin at gluster.org
Wed Aug 20 13:47:16 UTC 2014

On 20/08/2014, at 10:12 AM, Michael Scherer wrote:
<snip>
> While i can see why you would put -1 to ruby, it has to do with
> dependencies issues, or another problem ?
>
> ( cause from my own experience, puppet is in ruby, but thereisn't much
> dependencies issue, except when they did changed from ruby 1.8 to ruby
> 2.0 and puppet 3 )

My strong impression is that Ruby is an unstable language (eg "fast
evolving") and has negative care about backwards compatibility.  So,
best to not use it for anything we expect to keep around for _years_.

Unless we want to dedicate some % of people's time to upgrading stuff
in the future, purely because Ruby is no longer compatible with the
versions of things we're using.

I'd rather not do that, so lets choose something based on (say)
Python, such as Ansible. :)

> We only test on EL6 and EL7, that's it ? No Fedora jenkins, or
> anything ?

Not sure what you mean here?  We run regression tests on CentOS 6,
NetBSD, FreeBSD, and (upcoming) OSX.  Fedora regression testing
will come along in a bit, as well as CentOS 7 (so we can test
non-xfs filesystems).

Is that what you're asking about? :)