[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] Minutes of Gluster Community Meeting [12th May 2020]

sankarshan sankarshan at kadalu.io
Mon May 18 15:49:09 UTC 2020

On Mon, 18 May 2020 at 12:39, Xavi Hernandez <jahernan at redhat.com> wrote:

>> > ### User stories
>> > * [Hari] users are hesitant to upgrade. A good number of issues in release-7 (crashes, flooding of logs, self heal) Need to look into this.
>> > * [Sunil] Increase in inode size https://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2020-May/038196.html Looks like it can have perf benefit.
>> >

>> Is there work underway to ascertain if there are indeed any
>> performance related benefits? What are the kind of tests which would
>> be appropriate?
>

> Rinku has done some tests downstream to validate that the change doesn't cause any performance regression. Initial results don't show any regression at all and it even provides a significant benefit for 'ls -l' and 'unlink' workloads. I'm not sure yet why this happens as the xattrs for these tests should already fit inside 512 bytes inodes, so no significant differences were expected.

Can we not consider putting together an update or a blog (as part of
release 8 content) which provides a summary of the environment,
workload and results for these tests? I understand that test rig may
not be publicly available - however, given enough detail, others could
attempt to replicate the same.

> The real benefit would be with volumes that use at least geo-replication or quotas. In this case the xattrs may not fit inside the 512 bytes inodes, so 1024 bytes inodes will reduce the number of disk requests when xattr data is not cached (and it's not always cached, even if the inode is in cache). This testing is pending.
>
> From the functional point of view, we also need to test that bigger inodes don't cause weird inode allocation problems when available space is small. XFS allocates inodes in contiguous chunks in disk, so it could happen that even though there's enough space in disk (apparently), an inode cannot be allocated due to fragmentation. Given that the inode size is bigger, the required chunk will also be bigger, which could make this problem worse. We should try to fill a volume with small files (with fsync pre file and without it) and see if we get ENOSPC errors much before it's expected.
>
> Any help validating our results or doing the remaining tests would be appreciated.

It seems to me that we need to have a broader conversation around
these tests and paths - perhaps on a separate thread.

--
sankarshan at kadalu.io | TZ: UTC+0530 | +91 99606 03294
kadalu.io : Making it easy to provision storage in k8s!