[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] Minutes of Gluster Community Meeting [12th May 2020]

Xavi Hernandez jahernan at redhat.com
Mon May 18 07:09:28 UTC 2020

Hi Sankarshan,

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 9:15 AM sankarshan <sankarshan at kadalu.io> wrote:

> On Fri, 15 May 2020 at 10:59, Hari Gowtham <hgowtham at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > ### User stories
> > * [Hari] users are hesitant to upgrade. A good number of issues in
> release-7 (crashes, flooding of logs, self heal) Need to look into this.
> > * [Sunil] Increase in inode size
> https://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2020-May/038196.html
> Looks like it can have perf benefit.
> >

> Is there work underway to ascertain if there are indeed any
> performance related benefits? What are the kind of tests which would
> be appropriate?

Rinku has done some tests downstream to validate that the change doesn't
cause any performance regression. Initial results don't show any regression
at all and it even provides a significant benefit for 'ls -l' and 'unlink'
workloads. I'm not sure yet why this happens as the xattrs for these tests
should already fit inside 512 bytes inodes, so no significant differences
were expected.

The real benefit would be with volumes that use at least geo-replication or
quotas. In this case the xattrs may not fit inside the 512 bytes inodes, so
1024 bytes inodes will reduce the number of disk requests when xattr data
is not cached (and it's not always cached, even if the inode is in cache).
This testing is pending.

>From the functional point of view, we also need to test that bigger inodes
don't cause weird inode allocation problems when available space is small.
XFS allocates inodes in contiguous chunks in disk, so it could happen that
even though there's enough space in disk (apparently), an inode cannot be
allocated due to fragmentation. Given that the inode size is bigger, the
required chunk will also be bigger, which could make this problem worse. We
should try to fill a volume with small files (with fsync pre file and
without it) and see if we get ENOSPC errors much before it's expected.

Any help validating our results or doing the remaining tests would be
appreciated.

Regards,

Xavi