[Gluster-devel] gluster safe ugpgrade

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Mon Jan 20 09:08:27 UTC 2020

On 20/01/20 2:13 pm, Roman wrote:
> Hello dear devs team!
>
> I'm sorry to write to you, not user-s list, but I really would like to
> have DEV's opinion on my issue.
>
> I've got multiple solutions running on old gluster versions (same
> version per cluster, no mixed versions in same cluster):
>
> Some of them are: 3.7.19, 3.10.9, 3.8.15
>
> Yeah, I'm the geek who likes gluster from its beginning. I've started
> with glusterfs for KVM (proxmox) and now am running glusterfs for
> Tallinn University Academic Library digitalization project (NAS) which
> runs fully at 1gbps without any problems. One of gluster is running
> 250 TB storage and it has to be extended, it is the DISTRIBUTED VOLUME
> :). I could go the easy way and get 3.8.15 from old releases of
> gluster repo, but i don't feel it to be the right way. What I would
> really like to do is:
> 1. upgrade OS atm it is  Debian GNU/Linux 8.10
> 2. upgrade the glusterfs
>
> So my question is: what is the safe gluster version I could upgrade to
> from my versions? I will do the offline upgrade. And what my steps
> would be right? As I can see it:
>
> 1. shutdown gluster on all servers
> 2. upgrade os and gluster (change repo file for both os and glusterfs
> version supported on that os and safe to upgrade to, run apt-get dist
> upgrade)
>
> As you understand, there is no possibility to backup that ammount of
> data (the time it would take is not acceptable). We have some data
> copied periodically to national archive, but not all of it.
>
> What do you think on this?

As long as you are upgrading, it is better to use the latest version
(7.x).  While nothing should go wrong, since 3.x is really old, I'm not
100% sure if everything will be smooth post the upgrade. The best way is
to create a small 'test' setup (maybe a 1 brick volume with 1 client and
some data) and try upgrading it to 7.x , bump up to the right op-version
etc. and verify that every thing works. If it does, then you can do the
actual offline upgrade in peace.

Hope this helps,

Ravi