[Gluster-devel] gluster safe ugpgrade

Roman romeo.r at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 08:43:22 UTC 2020

Hello dear devs team!

I'm sorry to write to you, not user-s list, but I really would like to have
DEV's opinion on my issue.

I've got multiple solutions running on old gluster versions (same version
per cluster, no mixed versions in same cluster):

Some of them are: 3.7.19, 3.10.9, 3.8.15

Yeah, I'm the geek who likes gluster from its beginning. I've started with
glusterfs for KVM (proxmox) and now am running glusterfs for Tallinn
University Academic Library digitalization project (NAS) which runs fully
at 1gbps without any problems. One of gluster is running 250 TB storage and
it has to be extended, it is the DISTRIBUTED VOLUME :). I could go the easy
way and get 3.8.15 from old releases of gluster repo, but i don't feel it
to be the right way. What I would really like to do is:
1. upgrade OS atm it is  Debian GNU/Linux 8.10
2. upgrade the glusterfs

So my question is: what is the safe gluster version I could upgrade to from
my versions? I will do the offline upgrade. And what my steps would be
right? As I can see it:

1. shutdown gluster on all servers
2. upgrade os and gluster (change repo file for both os and glusterfs
version supported on that os and safe to upgrade to, run apt-get dist
upgrade)

As you understand, there is no possibility to backup that ammount of data
(the time it would take is not acceptable). We have some data copied
periodically to national archive, but not all of it.

What do you think on this?

--
Best regards,
Roman.