[Gluster-devel] GlusterFS API to manipulate open file descriptor - glfs_fcntl?

Amar Tumballi amarts at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 07:10:36 UTC 2019

It would be great if you can point at the requirements, or new additions
you are talking about.

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 12:26 PM Anoop C S <anoopcs at cryptolab.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is to check and confirm whether we have an API(or an internal
> implementation which can be exposed as API) to perform operations on an
> open file descriptor as a wrapper around existing fcntl() system call.
> We do have specific APIs for locks(glfs_posix_lock) and file descriptor
> duplication(glfs_dup) which are important among those operations listed
> as per man fcntl(2).

> At present we have a requirement(very recent) from Samba to set file
> descriptor flags through its VFS layer which would need a corresponding
> mechanism inside GlusterFS. Due to its absence, VFS module for
> GlusterFS inside Samba will have to workaround with the hack of
> creating fake local file descriptors outside GlusterFS.
>
> Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

If there is a need have a feature, it makes sense to extend fd_t structure
and provide it inside. If my memory serve right, we didn't support fcntl()
behavior in gluster as there was no fcntl() through fuse when we started..

Would be good to understand what is needed, and then start working on
design discussions. (if it makes sense).

-Amar