[Gluster-devel] GlusterFS API to manipulate open file descriptor - glfs_fcntl?

Anoop C S anoopcs at cryptolab.net
Tue Oct 15 06:50:54 UTC 2019

Hi all,

This is to check and confirm whether we have an API(or an internal
implementation which can be exposed as API) to perform operations on an
open file descriptor as a wrapper around existing fcntl() system call.
We do have specific APIs for locks(glfs_posix_lock) and file descriptor
duplication(glfs_dup) which are important among those operations listed
as per man fcntl(2).

At present we have a requirement(very recent) from Samba to set file
descriptor flags through its VFS layer which would need a corresponding
mechanism inside GlusterFS. Due to its absence, VFS module for
GlusterFS inside Samba will have to workaround with the hack of
creating fake local file descriptors outside GlusterFS.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Anoop C S.