[Gluster-devel] Following up on the "Github teams/repo cleanup"

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Thu Mar 28 21:40:27 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 12:59 PM Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <
sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri 29 Mar, 2019, 01:04 Vijay Bellur, <vbellur at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 11:39 AM Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <
>> sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> and enforce them once agreement is reached.
>>> the project.
>>> >

>>> I agree. And so, I am looking forward to additional
>>> individuals/maintainers agreeing to this so that we can codify it
>>> under the Gluster.org Github org too.
>>>

>> Looks good to me.
>>
>> While at this, I would also like us to think about evolving some
>> guidelines for creating a new repository in the gluster github
>> organization. Right now, a bug report does get a new repository created and
>> I feel that the process could be a bit more involved to ensure that we
>> host projects with the right content in github.
>>

> The bug ensures that there is a recorded trail for the request. What might
> be the additional detail required which can emphasize on greater
> involvement? At this point, I don't see many fly-by-night projects. Just
> inactive ones and those too for myriad reasons.

I certainly did not intend fly-by-night projects.

Having a tracking mechanism is indeed desirable. Of the 98 projects we host
in github, there are projects without commits, without licenses and some
whose relevance to Gluster is not easily understood. We could evaluate
factors like these before hosting a repo under the gluster umbrella.

Thanks,
Vijay