[Gluster-devel] Removing glupy from release 5.7

Hari Gowtham hgowtham at redhat.com
Mon Jul 8 09:07:34 UTC 2019

I have a few concerns about adding the python3 devel package and
continuing the build.
In the effort to make Gluster python3 compatible,
https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/411
I think we have decided to skip working on Glupy to make it python3 compatible.
(Correct me if i'm wrong.) As Glupy was decided to be deprecated.
Though i don't see any mail thread regarding the same.
I don't see any patches merged to make Glupy python3 compatible, as well.

In such a case, I think its better to make changes to the configure.ac
of release 5 to work with python2 alone.
This way, Glupy will not be affected as well. And machines with
python3 will also work because of the presence of python2.
And no change will be needed on the infra side as well.

We are a bit too late with the 5 series releases. If we are fine with
this approach,
I will send out a mail informing this, work on the patch and push it.

On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 6:48 PM Niels de Vos <ndevos at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 04, 2019 at 05:03:53PM +0200, Michael Scherer wrote:

> > https://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2019-June/056347.html

> > > What about option 3:
> > >
> > > - install python3-devel in addition to python3
> >
> > That's a option, but I think that's a disservice for the users, since
> > that's fixing our CI to no longer trigger a corner case, which doesn't
> > mean the corner case no longer exist, just that we do not trigger it.
>
> This is only interesting for building releases/packages, I think. Normal
> build environments have -devel packages installed for the components
> that are used during the build process. The weird python2-devel and
> python3 (without -devel) is definitely a corner case, but not something
> people would normally have. And if so, we expect -devel for the python
> version that is used, so developers would hopefully just install that on
> their build system.
>
> Niels
>
> Community Meeting Calendar:
>
> APAC Schedule -
> Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 11:30 AM IST
> Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/836554017
>
> NA/EMEA Schedule -
> Every 1st and 3rd Tuesday at 01:00 PM EDT
> Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/486278655

Regards,
Hari Gowtham.