[Gluster-devel] Removing glupy from release 5.7

Michael Scherer mscherer at redhat.com
Thu Jul 4 15:03:53 UTC 2019

https://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2019-June/056347.html

> > So sure, I can remove EPEL, but then it will remove mock. Or I can
> > remove python3, and it will remove mock.
> >
> > But again, the problem is not with the set of installed packages on
> > the
> > builder, that's just showing there is a bug.
> >
> > The configure script do pick the latest python version:
> > https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/master/configure.ac#L612
> >
> > if there is a python3, it take that, if not, it fall back to
> > python2.
> >
> > then, later:
> > https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/master/configure.ac#L639
> >
> > it verify the presence of what is required to build.
> >
> > So if there is a runtime version only of python3, it will detect
> > python3, but not build anything, because the -devel subpackage is
> > not h
> > ere.
> >
> > There is 2 solutions:
> > - fix that piece of code, so it doesn't just test the presence of
> > python executable, but do that, and test the presence of headers
> > before
> > deciding if we need to build or not glupy.
> >
> > - use PYTHON env var to force python2, and document that it need to
> > be
> > done.
>
> What about option 3:
>
> - install python3-devel in addition to python3

That's a option, but I think that's a disservice for the users, since
that's fixing our CI to no longer trigger a corner case, which doesn't
mean the corner case no longer exist, just that we do not trigger it.

--
Michael Scherer
Sysadmin, Community Infrastructure