[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] [External] Replica 3 - how to replace failed node (peer)

Karthik Subrahmanya ksubrahm at redhat.com
Wed Apr 10 12:26:36 UTC 2019

Hi Martin,

The reset-brick command is introduced in 3.9.0 and not present in 3.7.6.
You can try using the same replace-brick command with the force option even
if you want to use the same name for the brick being replaced.
3.7.6 is EOLed long back and glusterfs-6 is the latest version with lots of
improvements, bug fixes and new features. The release schedule can be found
at [1]. Upgrading to one of the maintained branch is highly recommended.

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 4:14 PM Martin Toth <snowmailer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I’ve read this documentation but step 4 is really unclear to me. I don’t
> understand related mkdir/rmdir/setfattr and so on.
>
> Step 4:
>
> *Using the gluster volume fuse mount (In this example: /mnt/r2) set up
> metadata so that data will be synced to new brick (In this case it is
> from Server1:/home/gfs/r2_1 to Server1:/home/gfs/r2_5)*
>
> Why should I change trusted.non-existent-key on this volume?
> It is even more confusing because other mentioned howtos does not contain
> this step at all.

Those steps were needed in the older releases to set some metadata on the
good bricks so that heal should not happen from the replaced brick to good
bricks, which can lead to data loss. Since you are on 3.7.6, we have
automated all these steps for you in that branch. You just need to run the
replace-brick command, which will take care of all those things.

[1] https://www.gluster.org/release-schedule/

Regards,
Karthik