[Gluster-devel] [ovirt-users] oVirt Survey 2019 results

Atin Mukherjee atin.mukherjee83 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 09:51:35 UTC 2019

Thanks Sahina for including Gluster community mailing lists.

As Sahina already mentioned we had a strong focus on upgrade testing path
before releasing glusterfs-6. We conducted test day and along with
functional pieces, tested upgrade paths like from 3.12, 4 & 5 to release-6,
we encountered problems but we fixed them before releasing glusterfs-6. So
overall this experience should definitely improve with glusterfs-6.

On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 at 15:16, Sahina Bose <sabose at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 12:07 PM Sandro Bonazzola <sbonazzo at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks to the 143 participants to oVirt Survey 2019!
>> The survey is now closed and results are publicly available at
>> https://bit.ly/2JYlI7U
>> We'll analyze collected data in order to improve oVirt thanks to your
>> feedback.
>>
>> As a first step after reading the results I'd like to invite the 30
>> persons who replied they're willing to contribute code to send an email to
>> devel at ovirt.org introducing themselves: we'll be more than happy to
>> welcome them and helping them getting started.
>>
>> I would also like to invite the 17 people who replied they'd like to help
>> organizing oVirt events in their area to either get in touch with me or
>> introduce themselves to users at ovirt.org so we can discuss about events
>> organization.
>>
>> Last but not least I'd like to invite the 38 people willing to contribute
>> documentation and the one willing to contribute localization to introduce
>> themselves to devel at ovirt.org.
>>

> Thank you all for the feedback.
> I was looking at the feedback specific to Gluster. While it's
> disheartening to see "Gluster weakest link in oVirt", I can understand
> where the feedback and frustration is coming from.
>
> Over the past month and in this survey, the common themes that have come up
> - Ensure smoother upgrades for the hyperconverged deployments with
> GlusterFS.  The oVirt 4.3 release with upgrade to gluster 5.3 caused
> disruption for many users and we want to ensure this does not happen again.
> To this end, we are working on adding upgrade tests to OST based CI .
> Contributions are welcome.
>
> - improve performance on gluster storage domain. While we have seen
> promising results with gluster 6 release this is an ongoing effort. Please
> help this effort with inputs on the specific workloads and usecases that
> you run, gathering data and running tests.
>
> - deployment issues. We have worked to improve the deployment flow in 4.3
> by adding pre-checks and changing to gluster-ansible role based deployment.
> We would love to hear specific issues that you're facing around this -
> please raise bugs if you haven't already (
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=cockpit-ovirt)
>

>> Thanks!
>> --
>>
>> SANDRO BONAZZOLA
>>
>> MANAGER, SOFTWARE ENGINEERING, EMEA R&D RHV
>>
>> Red Hat EMEA <https://www.redhat.com/>
>>
>> sbonazzo at redhat.com
>> <https://red.ht/sig>

--Atin