[Gluster-devel] gluster-ansible: status of the project

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Sun Sep 30 07:26:07 UTC 2018

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 2:33 PM Sachidananda URS <surs at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> gluster-ansible project is aimed at automating the deployment and
> maintenance of GlusterFS cluster.
>
> The project can be found at:
>
> * https://github.com/gluster/gluster-ansible
> * https://github.com/gluster/gluster-ansible-infra
> * https://github.com/gluster/gluster-ansible-features
> * https://github.com/gluster/gluster-ansible-maintenance
> * https://github.com/gluster/gluster-ansible-cluster
> * https://github.com/gluster/gluster-ansible-repositories
>
> We have the python bindings for GlusterD2 API, and can be found at:
>
> https://github.com/gluster/python-gluster-mgmt-client
>
> The goal is to use the python bindings in gluster_ansible module to make
> it work with GlusterD2.
>
> Current status of the project:
>
> * We have the initial working roles, packages are available at:
>    - https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/sac/gluster-ansible/builds/
>
> * The initial version supports:
>    - End-to-end deployment of Gluster Hyperconverged Infrastructure.
>    - GlusterFS volume management
>    - GlusterFS brick setup
>    - Packages and repository management
>
> * Autogeneration of python bindings for GlusterD2 is being worked by
> Sidharth (https://github.com/sidharthanup) and available at:
>   -
> https://github.com/sidharthanup/GD2_API/blob/master/testgen/glusterapi_README.md
>
> The GD2 API python project will be merged into python-gluster-mgmt-client.
>
> * Ansible modules (WIP):
>    - New module: Facts module for self-heal and rebalance. Devyani is
> working on these modules.
>      https://github.com/ansible/ansible/pull/45997 - self-heal
>    - Remove brick feature for gluster_ansible module:
>      https://github.com/ansible/ansible/pull/38269

Is there any work planned for dynamic inventory (
https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/2.5/dev_guide/developing_inventory.html) ?
Peers, bricks and volumes are all good candidates for dynamic inventory.

> * Sheersha and Nigel are working on continuous integration, and PR is at:
>    - https://github.com/gluster/gluster-ansible-infra/pull/29
>    - https://github.com/gluster/gluster-ansible-infra/pull/26
>
> The CI work is in progress and will be integrated soon. Which will help us
> to keep the repository
> in stable condition.

I recommend running ansible-lint in CI. For example:
[ykaul at ykaul gluster-ansible-infra]$ find . -name "*.yml" |xargs
ansible-lint
Syntax Error while loading YAML.
  did not find expected ',' or '}'

The error appears to have been in
'/home/ykaul/github/gluster-ansible-infra/examples/backend_with_vdo.yml':
line 22, column 8, but may
be elsewhere in the file depending on the exact syntax problem.

The offending line appears to be:

       - {vgname: 'vg_sdb', thinpoolname: 'foo_thinpool', thinpoolsize:
'100G', poolmetadatasize: '16G'
       - {vgname: 'vg_sdc', thinpoolname: 'bar_thinpool', thinpoolsize:
'500G', poolmetadatasize: '16G'
       ^ here
This one looks easy to fix.  It seems that there is a value started
with a quote, and the YAML parser is expecting to see the line ended
with the same kind of quote.  For instance:

    when: "ok" in result.stdout

Could be written as:

   when: '"ok" in result.stdout'

Or equivalently: