[Gluster-devel] Removal of use-compound-fops option in afr

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Mon Mar 5 04:18:22 UTC 2018

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 9:19 AM, Amar Tumballi <atumball at redhat.com> wrote:

> Pranith,
>

>>       We found that compound fops is not giving better performance in
>> replicate and I am thinking of removing that code. Sent the patch at
>> https://review.gluster.org/19655
>>

> If I understand it right, as of now AFR is the only component which uses
> Compound FOP. If it stops using that code, should we maintain the compound
> fop codebase at all in other places, like protocol, volgen (decompounder
> etc?)

Infra was also supposed to be used by gfapi when compound fops is
introduced. So I think it is not a bad idea to keep it until at least there
is a decision about it. It will be similar to loading feature modules like
quota even when quota is not used on the volume.

> Because, if AFR as a module decides compound fop is not useful, and other
> method is better, it is completely a decision of AFR maintainers. I don't
> see a concern there.
>
> Only if it had an option and if people are using it, then warning them
> upfront about this change is better.

By default it is off, so I am not expecting it to be in wide use. Even if
they are using it, I don't see any dramatic improvement in their workload
performance based on the numbers we got. This is going to be affective in
4.1 release.

I also added gluster-users, so that it is communicated to wider audience.

--
Pranith