[Gluster-devel] Preview of glusterfs packaging with glusterd2 (Fedora and CentOS RPMs)

Shyam Ranganathan srangana at redhat.com
Tue Jan 30 11:42:29 UTC 2018

On 01/30/2018 06:33 AM, Niels de Vos wrote:
> I am not sure if the advantages outweight the difficulties with
> bundling two projects into one package. My personal preference would be
> to have a glusterd2 package and a glusterfs one, completely separate
> from each other, just with tight Requires:...
>
> It is not clear to me when/if GD2 gets merged back into the glusterfs
> repository. In case the projects stay separate, they should probably get
> packaged that way too. In case they get merged, *yuck*, we'll have to
> deal with a project that contains C, Python, Bash and Golang sources :-(
>
> I've suggested this before, but did not get much feedback yet, maybe
> now?
>  - http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/packaging/2018-January/000439.html
>  - http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/packaging/2018-January/000444.html

Who are we waiting for, for a response?

Also, we brought this up in the maintainers meeting, and we needed to
conclude one way or another, and chose the current mechanism.

Considering RC0 is tomorrow, I would like to make it happen, and with
that in mind, can the decision of separate package or a sub-package be
made later (say even after the 4.0.0 release)?

Shyam