[Gluster-devel] Preview of glusterfs packaging with glusterd2 (Fedora and CentOS RPMs)

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Tue Jan 30 11:33:23 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 03:37:20PM -0500, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
> This is built on top of glusterfs-3.12. Obviously this will change to
> 4.0 (4.0rc0, etc.) This is derived from the
> .../extras/rpms/glusterd2.spec in the glusterd2 source.
>
> see https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=24543030
>
> (Having to "bundle" the generated source and the -vendor source tar
> files does make for a big .src.rpm.)
>
> Question for Debian and Ubuntu users: would you want to see the
> glusterd2 bits included in the -common or -server sub-package or would
> you like to see a separate sub-package for glusterd2?

I am not sure if the advantages outweight the difficulties with
bundling two projects into one package. My personal preference would be
to have a glusterd2 package and a glusterfs one, completely separate
from each other, just with tight Requires:...

It is not clear to me when/if GD2 gets merged back into the glusterfs
repository. In case the projects stay separate, they should probably get
packaged that way too. In case they get merged, *yuck*, we'll have to
deal with a project that contains C, Python, Bash and Golang sources :-(

I've suggested this before, but did not get much feedback yet, maybe
now?
 - http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/packaging/2018-January/000439.html
 - http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/packaging/2018-January/000444.html

Thanks,