[Gluster-devel] Release 4.0: Making it happen!

Shyam Ranganathan srangana at redhat.com
Tue Jan 16 15:27:42 UTC 2018

On 01/10/2018 01:14 PM, Shyam Ranganathan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 4.0 branching date is slated on the 16th of Jan 2018 and release is
> slated for the end of Feb (28th), 2018.

This is today! So read on...

Short update: I am going to wait a couple more days before branching, to
settle release content and exceptions. Branching is hence on Jan, 18th
(Thursday).

> We are at the phase when we need to ensure our release scope is correct
> and *must* release features are landing. Towards this we need the
> following information for all contributors.
>
> 1) Features that are making it to the release by branching date
>
> - There are currently 35 open github issues marked as 4.0 milestone [1]
> - Need contributors to look at this list and let us know which will meet
> the branching date

Other than the protocol changes (from Amar), I did not receive any
requests for features that are making it to the release. I have compiled
a list of features based on patches in gerrit that are open, to check
what features are viable to make it to 4.0. This can be found here [3].

NOTE: All features, other than the ones in [3] are being moved out of
the 4.0 milestone.

> - Need contributors to let us know which may slip and hence needs a
> backport exception to 4.0 branch (post branching).
> - Need milestone corrections on features that are not making it to the
> 4.0 release

I need the following contributors to respond and state if the feature in
[3] should still be tracked against 4.0 and how much time is possibly
needed to make it happen.

- Poornima, Amar, Jiffin, Du, Susant, Sanoj, Vijay

> NOTE: Slips are accepted if they fall 1-1.5 weeks post branching, not
> post that, and called out before branching!
>
> 2) Reviews needing priority
>
> - There could be features that are up for review, and considering we
> have about 6-7 days before branching, we need a list of these commits,
> that you want review attention on.
> - This will be added to this [2] dashboard, easing contributor access to
> top priority reviews before branching

As of now, I am adding a few from the list in [3] for further review
attention as I see things evolving, more will be added as the point
above is answered by the respective contributors.

[3] Release 4.0 features with pending code reviews: http://bit.ly/2rbjcl8