[Gluster-devel] Announcing Gluster for Container Storage (GCS)

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Thu Aug 23 19:58:03 UTC 2018

On 2018-07-25 at 06:38 -0700, Vijay Bellur wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Vijay,

Thanks for announcing this to the public and making everyone
more aware of Gluster's focus on container storage!

I would like to add an additional perspective to this,
giving some background about the history and origins:

Integrating Gluster with kubernetes for providing
persistent storage for containerized applications is
not new. We have been working on this since more than
two years now, and it is used by many community users
and and many customers (of Red Hat) in production.

The original software stack used heketi
(https://github.com/heketi/heketi) as a high level service
interface for gluster to facilitate the easy self-service for
provisioning volumes in kubernetes. Heketi implemented some ideas
that were originally part of the glusterd2 plans already in a
separate, much more narrowly scoped project to get us started
with these efforts in the first place, and also went beyond those
original ideas.  These features are now being merged into
glusterd2 which will in the future replace heketi in the
container storage stack.

We were also working on kubernetes itself, writing the
privisioners for various forms of gluster volumes in kubernets
proper (https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes) and also the
external storage repo
(https://github.com/kubernetes-incubator/external-storage).
Those provisioners will eventually be replaced by the mentioned
csi drivers. The expertise of the original kubernetes
development is now flowing into the CSI drivers.

The gluster-containers repository was created and used
for this original container-storage effort already.

The mentioned https://github.com/gluster/gluster-kubernetes
repository was not only the place for storing the deployment
artefacts and tools, but it was actually intended to be the
upstream home of the gluster-container-storage project.

In this view, I see the GCS project announced here
as a GCS version 2. The original first version,
even though never officially announced that widely in a formal
introduction like this, and never given a formal release
or version number (let me call it version one), was the
software stack described above and homed at the
gluster-kubernetes repository. If you look at this project
(and heketi), you see that it has a nice level of popularity.

I think we should make use of this traction instead of
ignoring the legacy, and turn gluster-kubernetes into the
home of GCS (v2). In my view, GCS (v2) will be about:

* replacing some of the components with newer, i.e.
  - i.e. glusterd2 instead of the heketi and glusterd1 combo
  - csi drivers (the new standard) instead of native
    kubernetes plugins
* adding the operator feature,
  (even though we are currently also working on an operator
  for the current stack with heketi and traditional gluster,
  since this will become important in production before
  this v2 will be ready.)

These are my 2cents on this topic.
I hope someone finds them useful.

I am very excited to (finally) see the broader gluster
community getting more aligned behind the idea of bringing
our great SDS system into the space of containers! :-)

Cheers - Michael