[Gluster-users] Subject: Help needed in improving monitoring in Gluster

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Mon Jul 23 14:03:36 UTC 2018

Hi,

    We want gluster's monitoring/observability to be as easy as possible
going forward. As part of reaching this goal we are starting this
initiative to add improvements to existing apis/commands and create new
apis/commands to gluster so that the admin can integrate it with whichever
monitoring tool he/she likes. The gluster-prometheus project hosted at
https://github.com/gluster/gluster-prometheus is the direction in which we
feel metrics can be collected and distributed from a Gluster cluster
enabling analysis and visualization.

As a first step we want to hear from you what you feel needs to be
addressed.

Here are some questions we came up with:

1) How do you monitor if the volumes/gluster management plane are behaving
as expected?

2) How do you monitor performance of the volumes/gluster management plane?

3) What are the problems at the moment that take very long before you find
that gluster is not behaving as expected?

4) Are there any gaps that need to be addressed which will add missing
information in the existing commands?

5) What are the aspects of gluster that you wish to monitor but are not
easily able to?

6) What existing monitoring commands in gluster do you wish to use at
regular intervals but you don't because they are too slow/error-prone?

We will be converting the responses we receive until 30th of this month to
github issues and come up with a roadmap for the first release of this
project.

Appreciate your insights and feedback.

Thanks in advance,

On behalf of the team(github handles)