[Gluster-devel] Release 5: Release calendar and status updates

Shyam Ranganathan srangana at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 18:03:34 UTC 2018

On 08/14/2018 02:28 PM, Shyam Ranganathan wrote:
> 2) Branching date: (Monday) Aug-20-2018 (~40 days before GA tagging)

We are postponing branching to 2nd week of September (10th), as the
entire effort in this release has been around stability and fixing
issues across the board.

Thus, we are expecting no net new features from hereon till branching,
and features that are already a part of the code base and its details
are as below.

> 3) Late feature back port closure: (Friday) Aug-24-2018 (1 week from
> branching)

As stated above, there is no late feature back port.

The features that are part of master since 4.1 release are as follows,
with some questions for the authors,

1) Changes to options tables in xlators (#302)

@Kaushal/GD2 team, can we call this complete? There maybe no real
release notes for the same, as these are internal in nature, but
checking nevertheless.

2) CloudArchival (#387)

@susant, what is the status of this feature? Is it complete?
I am missing user documentation, and code coverage from the tests is
very low (see:
https://build.gluster.org/job/line-coverage/485/Line_20Coverage_20Report/ )

3) Quota fsck (#390)

@Sanoj I do have documentation in the github issue, but would prefer if
the user facing documentation moves to glusterdocs instead.

Further I see no real test coverage for the tool provided here, any
thoughts around the same?

The script is not part of the tarball and hence the distribution RPMs as
well, what is the thought around distributing the same?

4) Ensure python3 compatibility across code base (#411)

@Kaleb/others, last patch to call this issue done (sans real testing at
the moment) is https://review.gluster.org/c/glusterfs/+/20868 request
review and votes here, to get this merged before branching.

5) Turn on Dentry fop serializer by default in brick stack (#421)

@du, the release note for this can be short, as other details are
captured in 4.0 release notes.

However, in 4.0 release we noted a limitation with this feature as follows,

"Limitations: This feature is released as a technical preview, as
performance implications are not known completely." (see section
https://docs.gluster.org/en/latest/release-notes/4.0.0/#standalone )

Do we now have better data regarding the same that we can use when
announcing the release?

Thanks,
Shyam