[Gluster-devel] Python components and test coverage

Nigel Babu nigelb at redhat.com
Fri Aug 10 12:17:46 UTC 2018

Hello folks,

We're currently in a transition to python3. Right now, there's a bug in one
piece of this transition code. I saw Nithya run into this yesterday. The
challenge here is, none of our testing for python2/python3 transition
catches this bug. Both Pylint and the ast-based testing that Kaleb
recommended does not catch this bug. The bug is trivial and would take 2
mins to fix, the challenge is that until we exercise almost all of these
code paths from both Python3 and Python2, we're not going to find out that
there are subtle breakages like this.

As far as I know, the three pieces where we use Python are geo-rep,
glusterfind, and libgfapi-python. My question:
* Are there more places where we run python?
* What sort of automated test coverage do we have for these components
right now?
* What can the CI team do to help identify problems? We have both Centos7
and Fedora28 builders, so we can definitely help run tests specific to
python.

--
nigelb