[Gluster-devel] Fuse mounts and inodes

Raghavendra G raghavendra at gluster.com
Wed Sep 6 14:49:16 UTC 2017

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 11:16 AM, Csaba Henk <chenk at redhat.com> wrote:

> Thanks Du, nice bit of info! It made me wander about the following:
>
> - Could it be then the default answer we give to "glusterfs client
> high memory usage"
>   type of complaints to set vfs_cache_pressure to 100 + x?

- And then x = ? Was there proper performance testing done to see how
> performance /
>   mem consumtion changes in terms of vfs_cache_performace?

I had a discussion with Manoj on this. One drawback with using
vfs_cache_performance tunable is that its a dynamic algorithm which decides
whether to purge from page cache or inode cache looking at the current
memory pressure. An obvious drawback for glusterfs is that, various of
caches of glusterfs are not visible to kernel (Memory consumed by Glusterfs
gets reflected neither in page cache nor in inode cache). This _might_
result in algorithm working poorly.

- vfs_cache_pressure is an allover system tunable. If 100 + x is ideal
> for GlusterFS, can
>   we take the courage to propose this? Is there no risk to trash other
> (disk-based)
>   filesystems' performace?

That's a valid point. Behavior of other filesystems would be a concern.

I've not really thought through this suggestion of tuning /proc/sys/vm
tunables and I am not even an expert who knows what tunables are at our
disposal. Just wanted to bring this idea to notice of wider audience.

Raghavendra G