[Gluster-devel] Identifying tests to automate with Glusto

Shyam Ranganathan srangana at redhat.com
Mon Oct 30 14:37:25 UTC 2017

On 10/30/2017 10:07 AM, Atin Mukherjee wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 at 19:32, Nigel Babu <nigelb at redhat.com
> <mailto:nigelb at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello folks,
>
>     One of the action items of the Testing BoF around Glusto is to start
>     a discussion on the mailing list about specific scenarios that
>     aren't covered in our existing .t tests that need a proper cluster
>     to test. I know Nithya had one about rebalance where we don't have
>     enough coverage with the .t framework. If anyone else has similar
>     scenarios or just tests they want written in Glusto, please speak up.
>

> One of the missing part with existing .t tests in glusterd is the client
> and server compatibility with different op-versions. Off late we have
> seen most of the bugs. I think we’d need to write tests with clients
> running with different versions, heterogeneous servers ( in n to n-2
> range for both client and server) and ofcourse the upgrade tests.

Let me extend this thought. We need the compatibility tests run across
all options that are supported and such, so that we know what breaks, a
very generic compat test against an older client is not sufficient.

IOW, test every option documented (and possibly not documented) in the
upgrade and compat tests across servers and clients.

As we hear more about large clusters, or client count explosion, we need
to ensure we break nothing and can certify the same for every release.