[Gluster-devel] Gluster Summit Discussion: Time taken for regression tests

Amar Tumballi atumball at redhat.com
Fri Nov 3 16:50:14 UTC 2017

All,

While we discussed many other things, we also discussed about reducing time
taken for the regression jobs. As it stands now, it take around 5hr 40mins
to complete a single run.

There were many suggestions:

   - Run them in parallel (as each .t test is independent of each other)
   - Revisit the tests taking long time (20 tests take almost 6000 seconds
   as of now).
   - See if we can run the tests in docker (but the issue is the machines
   we have are of 2cores, so there may not be much gain)

There are other suggestions as well:

   - Spend effort and see if there are repeated steps, and merge the tests.
      - Most of the time is spent in starting the processes and cleaning up.
      - Most of the tests run the similar volume create command (depending
      on the volume type), and run few different type of I/O in different tests.
      - Try to see if these things can be merged.
      - Most of the bug-fix .t files belong to this category too.
   - Classify the tests specific to few non-overlapping volume types and
   depending on the changeset in the patch (based on the files changed) decide
   which are the groups to run.
      - For example, you can't have replicate and disperse volume type
      together.

----

More ideas and suggestions welcome.

Regards,