[Gluster-devel] Maintainers 2.0 Proposal

Michael Scherer mscherer at redhat.com
Thu Mar 23 20:54:02 UTC 2017

Le samedi 18 mars 2017 à 16:47 +0530, Pranith Kumar Karampuri a écrit :
> On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 1:20 AM, Amar Tumballi <atumball at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't want to take the discussions in another direction, but want
> > clarity on few things:
> >
> > 1. Does maintainers means they are only reviewing/ merging patches?
> > 2. Should maintainers be responsible for answering ML / IRC questions
> > (well, they should focus more on documentation IMO).
> > 3. Who's responsibility is it to keep the gluster.org webpage? I
> > personally feel the responsibility should be well defined.

Theses point seems to have been overlooked (as no one answered), yet I
think they do matter if we want to expand the community besides coders.

And since one of the goal is to "Welcome more contibutors(sic) at a
project impacting level", I think we should be also speaking of
contributions besides code (ie, website, for example, documentation for
another).

While on it, I would like to see some points about:

- ensure that someone is responsible for having the design discussion in
the open
- ensure that each feature get proper testing when committed, and the
maintainers is responsible for making sure this happen
- ensure that each feature get documented when committed.

If we think of contribution as a pipeline (kinda like the sales funnel),
making sure there is documentation also mean people can use the
software, thus increasing the community, and so helping to recruit
people in a contributor pipeline.

Proper testing means that it make refactoring easier, thus easing
contributions (ie, people can submit patches and see nothing break, even
for new features), thus also making people likely more at ease to submit
patches later.

And making sure the design discussion occurs in the open is also more
welcoming to contributors, since they can see how we discuss, and learn
from it.

And while on it, is there a similar document being prepared about
Community Lead and Project Lead (especially for transition, etc) ?
--
Michael Scherer