[Gluster-devel] gluster volume info output and some questions/advice

Atin Mukherjee amukherj at redhat.com
Tue Mar 14 07:07:35 UTC 2017

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 3:27 PM, Gandalf Corvotempesta <
gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi to all
>
> let's assume this volume info output:
>
> Volume Name: r2
> Type: Distributed-Replicate
> Volume ID: 24a0437a-daa0-4044-8acf-7aa82efd76fd
> Number of Bricks: 2 x 2 = 4
> Transport-type: tcp
> Bricks:
> Brick1: Server1:/home/gfs/r2_0
> Brick2: Server2:/home/gfs/r2_1
> Brick3: Server1:/home/gfs/r2_2
> Brick4: Server2:/home/gfs/r2_3
>
> Can someone explain me how to read "Number of bricks" ?
>
> Is the first number the number of "replicated bricks" and the second
> number the number of replica?
>
> In this case, 2 bricks are replicated 2 times ?
>
> So, a "Number of Bricks: 2 x 3 = 6" means that 2 bricks are replicated 3
> times, right ?

That's correct. A X B indicates A is the distribute leg & B is the replica
count.

> Would be possible to add some indentation to this output? Something like
> this would be much easier to read and understand:
>
> Volume Name: r2
> Type: Distributed-Replicate
> Volume ID: 24a0437a-daa0-4044-8acf-7aa82efd76fd
> Number of Bricks: 2 x 2 = 4
> Transport-type: tcp
> Bricks:
>   Brick1: Server1:/home/gfs/r2_0
>   Brick2: Server2:/home/gfs/r2_1
>
>   Brick3: Server1:/home/gfs/r2_2
>   Brick4: Server2:/home/gfs/r2_3

We could do it but we've to be 100% sure that this doesn't break existing
tools/scripts while parsing this output.

> Or, if you don't want blank lines:
>
> Volume Name: r2
> Type: Distributed-Replicate
> Volume ID: 24a0437a-daa0-4044-8acf-7aa82efd76fd
> Number of Bricks: 2 x 3 = 6
> Transport-type: tcp
> Bricks:
>   Brick1: Server1:/home/gfs/r2_0
>    -> Brick2: Server2:/home/gfs/r2_1
>    -> Brick3: Server3:/home/gfs/r2_2
>   Brick4: Server1:/home/gfs/r2_3
>    -> Brick5: Server2:/home/gfs/r2_4
>    -> Brick6: Server3:/home/gfs/r2_5

This might give an impression that brick1 is the master and is always
responsible for replicating the data to 2 & 3 which is not true as per the
current replication model.

> Now some questions:
> is SNMP integration planed ? A SMUX Peer integrated in Gluster would be
> awesome
> for monitoring and monitoring a storage cluster is mandatory :)
> Just a single line to add in snmpd.conf and we are ready to go.

Currently, which are the monitoring options that we could use ? We have
> some Zabbix servers here
> that use SNMP for monitoring. Any workaround with gluster ?
>
> Probably, an easier workaround to implement in gluster would be triggering
> an SNMP trap.
> When some events occur, gluster could automatically trigger a trap.
> I think would be easier to develop than creating a whole SNMP SMUX and in
> this case,
> a single configuration set on a single node, would be gluster-wide.
> If you have 50 nodes, you just need to perform a single configuration on a
> single node
> to enable traps for 50 nodes automatically.
>
> You could ask (from CLI) for snmp target host to set cluster-wide and then
> all nodes will be able to trigger some traps.
>
> In example:
>
> gluster volume set test-volume snmp-trap-community 'public'
> gluster volume set test-volume snmp-trap-server '1.2.3.4'

~ Atin (atinm)