[Gluster-devel] Adding xxhash to gluster code base

Amar Tumballi atumball at redhat.com
Tue Jun 27 06:58:52 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 12:25 PM, Kotresh Hiremath Ravishankar <
khiremat at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We were looking for faster non-cryptographic hash to be used for the
> gfid2path infra [1]
> The initial testing was done with md5 128bit checksum which was a slow,
> cryptographic hash
> and using it makes software not complaint to FIPS [2]
>
> On searching online a bit we found out xxhash [3] seems to be faster from
> the results of
> benchmark tests shared and lot of projects use it. So we have decided to
> us xxHash
> and added following files to gluster code base with the patch [4]
>
>     BSD 2-Clause License:
>        contrib/xxhash/xxhash.c
>        contrib/xxhash/xxhash.h
>
>     GPL v2 License:
>        tests/utils/xxhsum.c
>
> NOTE: We have ignored the code guideline check for these files as
> maintaining it
> further becomes difficult.
>
> Please comment on the same if there are any issues around it.
>
> [1] Issue: https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/139
> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Information_Processing_Standards
> [3] http://cyan4973.github.io/xxHash/
> [4] https://review.gluster.org/#/c/17488/10

Just one comment at the moment. Please separate out the patches as

1. changes to get xxHash into the project
2. gfid2path feature (which can use xxHash code).

That way it will be very easy to review, and also to maintain in future.

-Amar

--
Amar Tumballi (amarts)