[Gluster-devel] Regression Voting Changes

Amar Tumballi atumball at redhat.com
Fri Jun 23 11:26:54 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 7:19 PM, Nigel Babu <nigelb at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 06:05:32PM +0530, Atin Mukherjee wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 9:17 AM, Nigel Babu <nigelb at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello folks,
> > >
> > > Amar has proposed[1] these changes in the past and I'd like to
> announce us
> > > going
> > > live with them as we've not received any strong feedback against it.
> > >
> > > ## Centos Regression
> > > * On master, we only run tests/basic as pre-merge testing.
> > >

> > I should have read this and Amar's email thread more carefully but
> > unfortunately I missed to read the above point in both the cases, so
> > apologies. I think running only tests/basic on master is not *sufficient*
> > given our goal is to have more test coverages coming from each patch and
> > expect most of the patches if not all will have tests added and if we
> don't
> > run the full regression suite this eventually means we don't test the
> patch
> > on master. Also I'm not sure how reactive we are against the regression
> > test burn failure reports, so if things go bad and if we don't react to
> it
> > immediately it'd be difficult to get the master branch back to stable
> > state. I'd suggest (and request) that we should run the full regression
> > test suite on Centos.
>
> These are valid concerns. I don't have an easy solution to any of them. So
> I've
> reverted the Centos regression changes entirely.

Atin, thanks for highlighting it. Yes, I didn't foresee these issues when I
proposed the changes.

With 'experimental' branch, which doesn't run regressions, the issue I was
trying to make (Multiple smaller patchesets to complete a feature) gets
solved. Hence keeping full regressions on master makes sense.

Thanks Nigel, for reverting back to normalcy quickly!

-Amar

> > > * On release branches, we will run the entire suite of tests.
> > > * Our regular regression-test-burn-in and
> regression-test-with-multiplex
> > > will
> > >   continue to run the full suite of tests as they currently do.
> > >
> > > ## NetBSD Regression
> > > * We will not run a netbsd7-regression as required pre-merge test
> anymore.
> > >   However, you should be able to trigger it with "recheck netbsd".
> > > * A green NetBSD will no longer be required for merging patches,
> however
> > > if you
> > >   have a -1 vote, it will remain a blocker. This is so that reviewers
> can
> > >   request a full NetBSD run, especially on release branches.
> > > * We will do a periodic NetBSD regression run on all currently
> maintained
> > >   branches (3.8, 3.10, and 3.11 at the moment) and master.
> > >
> > > ## Additional Changes
> > > * As full regression runs per patch is run on release branches only
> (other
> > > than
> > >   the nightly on master), any failures need proper attention and
> possible
> > > RCA.
> > >   A re-trigger in the hopes of getting a green is no longer acceptable
> for
> > >   release branches.
> > > * fstat will soon track the regression-test-burn-in and
> > >   regression-test-with-multiplex.
> > > * As soon as we have the new jobs up, we'll add them to fstat so we can
> > > track
> > >   failure patterns.
> > >
> > > The CentOS changes are already in production. The NetBSD changes will
> land
> > > in
> > > production today.
> > >
> > > [1]: http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-