[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-Maintainers] Release 3.10: Testing feedback requested

Shyam srangana at redhat.com
Wed Feb 22 12:36:50 UTC 2017

This is an update to let the community know the tests that I have
performed against 3.10 RC0 (and later with some further fixes in 3.10
branch).

Some of this can get into the respective github testing issues that I
filed, and I would be updating the same.

The tests were more to benchmark Gluster, but it in the course of doing
the same, I did test out a few other things around it that should help.

Environment:
- 4 servers, with 12 SAS 10K disks and 4 Intel SSDs each
- 4 clients
- All machines connected via IB gear, but tests run using IP over IB
   - Basically network bandwidth was about 15Gbps
- All machines running CentOS7.2

Tests:
- Upgrade from 3.8.8 to 3.10.0rc0
- Induce required healing during rolling upgrade, to test if file health
recovers post upgrade
   - IOW, ongoing IO during upgrade process
   - Tested on Replicate volumes only

- Created 6 types of volumes,
   NOTE: Considering the disks available not all volumes existed on the
cluster at the same time
   - S(etup)1: Disperse 6x(4+2) on SAS JBOD disks
   - S2: AFR 2-way 18x2 on SAS JBOD disks
   - S3: Disperse 4x(2+1) on SSD disks
   - S4: AFR 2-way 6x2 on SSD disks
   - S3.1: Disperse 4x(2+1) on SAS disks
   - S4.1: AFR 2-way 6x2 on SAS disks

- Ran the following tests on the above volumes
   - gbench script (see [1])
     - Basically tests, IOZone, and smallfile based workload from
multiple clients
     - Also does volume content and cache, purges in between tests
     - This was run on all volume combinations i.e S1-S6
     - This test was repeated on S1 and S2 with brick multiplexing turned on
   - Additional smallfile tests, (yet to put up the source for these
tests, but here is a gist [2] (do not judge the code quality :) ))
     - Single client single thread, create/read across
small(64KB)/medium(10MB)/large(1GB) files
       - So sort of 6 tests in total for the above
     - Single client single thread, listing across small(64KB) files
dropping client caches between runs, and not dropping client caches
between runs
     - This was run on all volume combinations i.e S1-S6
     - This test was repeated on S1 and S2 post enabling the new
readdirahead and security.ima xattr caching
     - This test was repeated on S1 and S2 with brick multiplexing turned on

Results:
- Ideally I should be posting performance numbers from these tests,
although I have them, they are not in a presentable/repeatable form,
hence not posting numbers
   - NOTE: I will possibly anyway post it subsequently
- All tests have passed, any issues/bugs faced during testing have
subsequently been fixed in 3.10 (there were about 4-6 bugs that I faced)

Notes:
- Disperse ran with sse/avx cpu-extension (need to recheck the machines
to be sure which)

Shyam

[1] gbench test:
https://github.com/gluster/gbench/blob/master/bench-tests/bt-0000-0001/GlusterBench.py

[2] gist containing python code for the additional smallfile tests:
https://gist.github.com/ShyamsundarR/dfbc2e717ed64b466222aed6d3ae5bf7