[Gluster-devel] Should glusterfs-3.10 become the new default with its first release?

Shyam srangana at redhat.com
Fri Feb 17 17:33:54 UTC 2017

On 02/17/2017 12:01 PM, Niels de Vos wrote:
> I've been preparing the GlusterFS 3.10 released for the CentOS Storage
> SIG, and that means I need to craete a new centos-release-gluster310
> package. This is the package that users install when they want to enable
> the YUM repository from the SIG.
>
> Users are recommended to execute the following commands:
>
>   # yum install centos-release-gluster

When users *chose* the above, what did they actually choose to do? Stay
at the latest LTM for Gluster?

What I mean is, when a user chooses explicitly to do "yum install
centos-release-gluster38", the choice is clear, they want to be on 3.8
till they choose to add the repo for 3.10 or other.

So, in the former case, when they chose to add centos-release-gluster,
what was the choice made? To stay at the latest LTM, then we should
modify it, else we should not.

At a later date when we choose to modify it to say 3.10.x (x>0), what is
the decision based on? How do we communicate that to the users?

>   # yum install glusterfs-server
>
> Now, the current default for centos-release-gluster is that GlusterFS
> 3.8.x is made available. Users can install centos-release-gluster39
> explicitly, but it is not an update that will replace the 3.8 version.
>
> Should the centos-release-gluster package (well, it is privided by
> others) install the 3.8 YUM repository for a while until 3.10.1 is
> released (or such)? Or, shall I make 3.10 the new default?

I think I understand your thought process here, which I presume is to
gain a level of stability in 3.10 (if it is not the case out of the
door), before unleashing it on unsuspecting users.

For me it depends on what centos-release-gluster means, and defining the
criteria for updating the same, which then becomes easier to repeat.