[Gluster-devel] Should glusterfs-3.10 become the new default with its first release?

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Fri Feb 17 17:01:48 UTC 2017

I've been preparing the GlusterFS 3.10 released for the CentOS Storage
SIG, and that means I need to craete a new centos-release-gluster310
package. This is the package that users install when they want to enable
the YUM repository from the SIG.

Users are recommended to execute the following commands:

  # yum install centos-release-gluster
  # yum install glusterfs-server

Now, the current default for centos-release-gluster is that GlusterFS
3.8.x is made available. Users can install centos-release-gluster39
explicitly, but it is not an update that will replace the 3.8 version.

Should the centos-release-gluster package (well, it is privided by
others) install the 3.8 YUM repository for a while until 3.10.1 is
released (or such)? Or, shall I make 3.10 the new default?

I aim to not replace the existing 3.8 deployments, they can stay on 3.8
for an other ~6 months:
  https://www.gluster.org/community/release-schedule/

Thanks,
Niels