[Gluster-devel] Why not provide useful config.guess and config.sub in gluster's release tarball

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Wed Apr 5 08:10:55 UTC 2017

On Wed, Apr 05, 2017 at 09:18:39AM +0800, Zhengping Zhou wrote:
>     I have a test environment without  internet connection. I'd like
> to build and install many packages from the tarball which downloaded
> from the official website.
>     Generally, the tarball will provide a useful configure  file, I
> mean which can generate the right makefile, or there will be no
> default configure file(only configure.ac),
> which means i should run auto_gen.sh to get configure.
>     But it puzzles me that the tarball provides a configure file which
> cann't generate a right Makefile without any obvious error info. So
> why not just don't provide
> a configure file in the tarball, so the users will run auto_gen.sh to
> get  one just like the developer in git environment.Or maybe you can
> provide a useful config.guess
> and config.sub in the tarball as I suggested in the last email.

Many of the distributions know that there are problems with the
provided config.{guess,sub} in tarballs. These distributions prevent
using them by overwriting the files automatically with their packaging
macros (like %configure in Fedora/CentOS), or passing all needed
parameters to ./configure because they already know for which
architecture to build.

Not all distributions like running ./autogen.sh upon building, because
that requires them to have additional tools in the build environment. It
is cleaner to provide ./configure in the tarball.

You are the first since the 3.8 release to report a problem with this. I
would prefer to keep the current behaviour, and improve the failure
reporting. The scripts that are placed in the tarball are found unders
the build-aux/ directory in the sources. These were intended to provide
clear error messages, maybe you have an idea how to improve them?

Thanks,
Niels