[Gluster-devel] Need help with running bench test on Gluster cluster.

Menaka Mohan menaka.m at outlook.com
Thu Oct 13 04:55:14 UTC 2016

Hello Nigel B,

Thank you so much for you reply. Recently, I have noticed few syntax errors on the code and I have corrected them. Kindly review the Pull request.

Since I do not have a laptop with good specifications, I am unable to use VMs. I tried and it crashed many times. So with the support of a college friend I have setup the environment in a lab and accessing it through Bitvise SSH client. With the process becoming more complex, I am learning more things.

I have thoroughly gone through Shyam's reply and working on it.

Regards,
Menaka M

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 07:53:09PM +0000, Menaka Mohan wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am Menaka M. I am interested in participating in this round of Outreachy under Gluster. I am new to this open source world. Kindly help me with the following query.
>

> I have set up the Gluster development environment with two servers and one client. I am trying to run the basic bench test on the Gluster cluster from this GitHub repo<https://github.com/gluster/gbench/tree/master/bench-tests/bt-0000-0001>. I also have IOZone installed. While trying to run the provided script, i get the following error. I was trying to identify the cause of the error. Kindly help me with that.
>
> So, I learned more about IOZone and also the performance testing section in the Gluster docs. With that knowledge and to learn more, I have gone through the code and running iozone commands mentioned in the GlusterBench.py script individually.
>
> If I am asking a very basic thing, apologies. I will quickly learn things.
>
> Regards,
> Menaka M

Hi Menaka,

Thanks for taking a look at gbench. It appears that you have uncovered a bug in our documentation and code.

Shyam is the expert here and I'll let him chime in. You need an environment variable with CLIENTS and SERVER to get this working. So when you run this, you need at least two machines (VMs would be best. Happy to guide you on how to set this up if you'd like). It would look something like this:

CLIENTS="192.168.0.1 192.158.0.2" SERVERS="192.168.0.3 192.168.0.3" python GlusterBench.py -s 64 -f 10000 -n 5 -v

I'm making a lot of assumptions here. If there's anything that is confusing, let me know and I'm happy to clarify. I'll let Shyam jump in later today (he's in EST) to chime with anything else I've missed.

--
nigelb