[Gluster-devel] xlator option setting in gfapi

Raghavendra Talur rtalur at redhat.com
Mon May 9 06:27:44 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 8:45 AM, Raghavendra Gowdappa <rgowdapp at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Hi Poornima/Raghavendra,
>
> This mail is an initiation of a thread to discuss how to make xlator
> options setting in gfapi synchronous (so, that caller will know the result)
> or providing a cbk to let the application know about the status.
>
> My very naive attempt of code-reading showed me that
> pub_glfs_set_xlator_option just adds the option to cmd_args.xlator_options.
> Can you please explain how/when these values are communicated to glusterd
> to change volfile? From there we can carry forward the conversation.

Raghavendra,

glfs_set_xlator_option is equivalent to --xlator-option of mount.glusterfs
of FUSE. This feature is not intended to apply the setting to the volume
permanently, rather it is specific to the mount and only valid for its
lifetime.
The current architecture of Gluster graph takes these options only in
cmd_args and then these values are given preference over whatever comes in
volfile from Glusterd. In essence, these settings can be used to override
the volume settings for a particular mount.

If the requirement is to set a volume wide option then glusterd or one of
the REST interfaces for Glusterd should be used.

I will also reply to the other thread with possible methods on overcoming
the problem with write-behind and qemu.

Thanks,
Raghavendra Talur