[Gluster-devel] 3.7.9 update

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Sun Mar 13 17:20:42 UTC 2016

Hey All,

I have been running tests with the latest HEAD of release-3.7  on a 2x2
distributed replicated volume. Here are some updates:

- Write Performance has seen an improvement as seen by running
perf-test.sh [1]

v3.7.9 with FUSE client

Testname                Time
emptyfiles_create       961.83
emptyfiles_delete       600.08
smallfiles_create       1508.38
smallfiles_rewrite      1325.60
smallfiles_read         598.50
smallfiles_reread       384.65
smallfiles_delete       623.66
largefile_create        18.33
largefile_rewrite       19.17
largefile_read          11.44
largefile_reread        0.31
largefile_delete        0.66
directory_crawl_create  981.21
directory_crawl         30.64
directory_recrawl       28.01
metadata_modify         1117.92
directory_crawl_delete  423.08

v3.7.8 with FUSE client

Testname                Time
emptyfiles_create       953.87
emptyfiles_delete       577.46
smallfiles_create       1837.33
smallfiles_rewrite      2349.37
smallfiles_read         604.22
smallfiles_reread       394.48
smallfiles_delete       629.74
largefile_create        73.86
largefile_rewrite       76.23
largefile_read          11.36
largefile_reread        0.31
largefile_delete        0.65
directory_crawl_create  985.16
directory_crawl         31.10
directory_recrawl       26.94
metadata_modify         1422.60
directory_crawl_delete  382.57

Hopefully this addresses the write performance drop we observed with 3.7.8.

- Regular file system test tools like iozone, dbench etc. are running
fine with the fuse client.

- Rolling upgrade from 3.7.8 to the latest release-3.7 HEAD worked fine
with I/O happening from a fuse client.

- There is a memory leak in FUSE client that I observed while running
perf-test.sh. A statedump revealed that there was a ref leak on several
inodes. I have sent a possible patch [2] which addressed problems in my
test setup. This does need careful review and more testing. Given the
memory leaks we have been observing with fuse, I feel that it would be
good to review mount/fuse for possible leaks and run more tests before
releasing 3.7.9. I am looking at pushing out tagging by 2-3 days to mid
week to accomplish this. Niels, Raghavendra - can you provide additional
help with reviewing here?

- Tiering has seen a lot of patches in 3.7.9. Dan, Nithya - can you
please assist in preparation of release notes by summarizing the changes
and providing inputs on the general readiness of tiering?

Thanks,
Vijay

[1] https://github.com/avati/perf-test/blob/master/perf-test.sh

[2] http://review.gluster.org/#/c/13689/