[Gluster-devel] GF_PARENT_DOWN on SIGKILL

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Mon Jul 25 20:32:40 UTC 2016

> As far as I know, there's no explicit guarantee on the order in which
> fini is called, so we cannot rely on it to do cleanup because ec needs
> that all its underlying xlators be fully functional to finish the cleanup.

What kind of cleanup are we talking about here?  We already need to
handle the case where an entire process or node disappears suddenly.
Can communicating peers handle it a bit more gracefully if they get
a message instead of having to wait for a ping timeout?  Perhaps, but
if that means creating a potential for our SIGTERM handler to be
blocked indefinitely then I'm not sure how useful it's going to be.
It's a bit ops-unfriendly, and will probably just get us back to the
same place when SIGTERM is followed by SIGKILL.