[Gluster-devel] Snapshot Scheduler

Avra Sengupta asengupt at redhat.com
Wed Jul 13 06:24:17 UTC 2016

On 07/13/2016 02:37 AM, Niels de Vos wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 12:37:17AM +0530, Avra Sengupta wrote:
>> Thanks Joe for the feedback. We are aware of the following issue, and we
>> will try and address this by going for a more generic approach, which will
>> not have platform dependencies.
> I'm mostly in favour of using the standard functionalities that other
> components already provide. Use systemd-timers when available, and cron
> as fallback would have my preference. Not sure how much my opinion
> counts, but I hope you'll take it into consideration. Writing a bug-free
> scheduler from scratch is difficult :-)
>
> Niels
Neils,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been an advocate of having one single
scheduler for Gluster from the beginning, such as it is not strictly
tied to snapshots, but can be used by other components. Such a scheduler
would be policy based and modular enough in both functionality and
implementation to support any component's requirement, preferably in a
plug and play fashion without much hassle to be needed from the other
components end.

We were suggested to use cron back then, with the same argument as to
not re-invent the wheel. While it makes perfect sense not to re-do
what's already done, I would this time around try to aim at achieving
the above mentioned goal first, irrespective of the underlying infra.
That being said, we have not ruled out the use of either systemd-timers
or cron, and we are currently estimating the scope of the feature in
respect of the time in hand, and the resources at disposal, and hence
asking for feedback. :)

Regards,
Avra