[Gluster-devel] Reducing merge conflicts

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Fri Jul 8 02:12:39 UTC 2016

What gets measured gets managed. It is good that you started this thread.
Problem is two fold. We need a way to first find people who are reviewing a
lot and give them more karma points in the community by encouraging that
behaviour(making these stats known to public lets say in monthly news
letter is one way). It is equally important to review patches when you
compare it to sending patches. What I have seen at least is that it is easy
to find people who sent patches, how many patches someone sent in a month
etc. There is no easy way to get these numbers for reviews. 'Reviewed-by'
tag in commit only includes the people who did +1/+2 on the final revision
of the patch, which is bad. So I feel that is the first problem to be
solved if we have to get better at this. Once I know how I am doing on a
regular basis in this aspect I am sure I will change my ways to contribute
better in this aspect. I would love to know what others think about this
too.

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 2:02 AM, Jeff Darcy <jdarcy at redhat.com> wrote:

> I'm sure a lot of you are pretty frustrated with how long it can take to
> get even a trivial patch through our Gerrit/Jenkins pipeline.  I know I
> am.  Slow tests, spurious failures, and bikeshedding over style issues are
> all contributing factors.  I'm not here to talk about those today.  What I
> am here to talk about is the difficulty of getting somebody - anybody - to
> look at a patch and (possibly) give it the votes it needs to be merged.  To
> put it bluntly, laziness here is *killing* us.  The more patches we have in
> flight, the more merge conflicts and rebases we have to endure for each
> one.  It's a quadratic effect.  That's why I personally have been trying
> really hard to get patches that have passed all regression tests and
> haven't gotten any other review attention "across the finish line" so they
> can be merged and removed from conflict with every other patch still in
> flight.  The search I use for this, every day, is as follows:
>

> http://review.gluster.org/#/q/status:open+project:glusterfs+branch:master+label:CentOS-regression%253E0+label:NetBSD-regression%253E0+-label:Code-Review%253C0
>
> That is:
>
>     open patches on glusterfs master (change project/branch as appropriate
> to your role)
>
>     CentOS and NetBSD regression tests complete
>
>     no -1 or -2 votes which might represent legitimate cause for delay
>
> If other people - especially team leads and release managers - could make
> a similar habit of checking the queue and helping to get such "low hanging
> fruit" out of the way, we might see an appreciable increase in our overall
> pace of development.  If not, we might have to start talking about
> mandatory reviews with deadlines and penalties for non-compliance.  I'm
> sure nobody wants to see their own patches blocked and their own deadlines
> missed because they weren't doing their part to review peers' work, but
> that's a distinct possibility.  Let's all try to get this train unstuck and
> back on track before extreme measures become necessary.

Pranith