[Gluster-devel] Reducing merge conflicts

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Thu Jul 7 20:32:27 UTC 2016

I'm sure a lot of you are pretty frustrated with how long it can take to get even a trivial patch through our Gerrit/Jenkins pipeline.  I know I am.  Slow tests, spurious failures, and bikeshedding over style issues are all contributing factors.  I'm not here to talk about those today.  What I am here to talk about is the difficulty of getting somebody - anybody - to look at a patch and (possibly) give it the votes it needs to be merged.  To put it bluntly, laziness here is *killing* us.  The more patches we have in flight, the more merge conflicts and rebases we have to endure for each one.  It's a quadratic effect.  That's why I personally have been trying really hard to get patches that have passed all regression tests and haven't gotten any other review attention "across the finish line" so they can be merged and removed from conflict with every other patch still in flight.  The search I use for this, every day, is as follows:

    http://review.gluster.org/#/q/status:open+project:glusterfs+branch:master+label:CentOS-regression%253E0+label:NetBSD-regression%253E0+-label:Code-Review%253C0

That is:

    open patches on glusterfs master (change project/branch as appropriate to your role)

    CentOS and NetBSD regression tests complete

    no -1 or -2 votes which might represent legitimate cause for delay

If other people - especially team leads and release managers - could make a similar habit of checking the queue and helping to get such "low hanging fruit" out of the way, we might see an appreciable increase in our overall pace of development.  If not, we might have to start talking about mandatory reviews with deadlines and penalties for non-compliance.  I'm sure nobody wants to see their own patches blocked and their own deadlines missed because they weren't doing their part to review peers' work, but that's a distinct possibility.  Let's all try to get this train unstuck and back on track before extreme measures become necessary.