[Gluster-devel] NLMv4 isn't available over UDP

Kaushal M kshlmster at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 06:28:10 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Sponge Tsui <jingjinglake at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi, I'm sorry to ask for help if it is a common question. I noticed
> that in glusterfs NLMv4 is only available over TCP,but not available
> over UDP as the show of "rpcinfo -p" when using glusterfs to export
> volumes through NFS protocol. The result is as follow:
>
>     program vers proto   port  service
>     100000    4   tcp    111  portmapper
>     100000    3   tcp    111  portmapper
>     100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
>     100000    4   udp    111  portmapper
>     100000    3   udp    111  portmapper
>     100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
>     100005    3   tcp  38465  mountd
>     100005    1   tcp  38466  mountd
>     100003    3   tcp   2049  nfs
>     100021    4   tcp  38468  nlockmgr
>     100227    3   tcp   2049
>     100021    1   udp    868  nlockmgr
>     100021    1   tcp    869  nlockmgr
>     100024    1   udp  34507  status
>     100024    1   tcp  40511  status
>
> I want to find out that why NLMv4 wasn't supported over UDP while
> NLMv4 has been supported over TCP already. Whether or not NLMv4 over
> UDP would be took into account.
>
> Please excuse me if I've used bad terminology. Maybe it's because of
> some other issues that i didn't realize. To be honest, I'm a newcomer
> for glusterfs less than a mouth.
>
> Thanks for your attention. I'm looking forward to your reply, and any
> answers will be appreciated !

The GlusterFS NFS service only supports the NFSv3 protocol over TCP.
So the NLM service was also implemented only over TCP.
As for the reason why only TCP support was implemented for NFS, it was
probably because NFSv3 over TCP provided support for most clients,
with the least amount of implementation effort.