[Gluster-devel] Restricting add-brick when volume is stopped.

Kaushal M kshlmster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 07:34:32 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 12:57 PM, Anuradha Talur <atalur at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> AFR has a requirement that when replica count is changed while adding bricks to a volume, e.g., converting a replica 2 to replica 3, afr pending xattrs are marked to indicate this change. (To prevent potential data-loss)
>
> This is possible only when the volume is not stopped, which is a deviation from the present behaviour that allows add-brick even when the volume is stopped. I sent a patch : http://review.gluster.org/#/c/12451/ , if this change is included, only such add-brick operations that change replica count will be forbidden when the volume is stopped. I would like to know if there are any objections to this.

This should be okay. But I'd like to know if other solutions are possible.

(I'm not an AFR guy, so the below is based on my (mis)understanding of
how it works. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)
Is there no way for AFR to detect that the 3 brick is an empty brick?
When AFR requests the bricks for the pending xattrs, the new brick
wouldn't return any. AFR could then do a full heal to the new brick in
this case.

I don't know how complex it would be to do such a check, but would
like to know if its possible.

In anycase, I'm okay with the suggested volume online check in
GlusterD. I'll review the change and let you know if anything else is
needed.

~kaushal