[Gluster-devel] static analysis updated

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Mon Dec 19 18:06:35 UTC 2016

> Thank you Kaleb. Shall we start somwhere in terms of automation?
>
> The cppcheck results look the shortest[1]. If we can commit to fixing all of
> them in the next 1 month, I can kick off a non-voting smoke job. We'll make
> it
> vote after 1 month. I guss the cli and experimental xlator (and a few more
> xlators, please check log) owners need to confirm that this is something we
> can
> target to fix. And commit to keeping fixed.

Before we get to automation, shouldn't we have a discussion about what
"defects" we should filter out?  For example, we already have a problem
with compilers spitting out warnings about unused variables in generated
code, and then promoting those warnings to errors.  Fixing those is more
trouble than it's worth.  Static analyzers are going to produce even
more reports of Things That Don't Really Matter, along with a few about
Actual Serious Problems.  It's a characteristic of the genre.  If we
don't make any explicit decisions about priorities, it will actually
take us longer to fix all of the null-pointer errors and array overflows
and memory leaks as people wade through a sea of lesser defects.