[Gluster-devel] Release 3.10 feature proposal : Gluster Block Storage CLI Integration

Prasanna Kumar Kalever pkalever at redhat.com
Wed Dec 14 07:10:53 UTC 2016

On 16-12-14 07:43:05, Niels de Vos wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 11:28:52AM +0530, Prasanna Kalever wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As we know gluster block storage creation and maintanace is not simple
> > today, as it involves all the manual steps mentioned at [1]
> > To make this basic operations simple we would like to integrate the
> > block story with gluster CLI.
> >
> > As part of it, we would like Introduce the following commands
> >
> > # gluster block create <NAME>
> > # gluster block modify <SIZE> <AUTH> <ACCESS MODE>
> > # gluster block list
> > # gluster block delete <NAME>
>
> I am not sure why this needs to be done through the Gluster CLI.
> Creating a file on a (how to select?) volume, and then export that as a
> block device through tcmu-runner (iSCSI) seems more like a task similar
> to what libvirt does with VM images.

May be not exactly, but similar

> Would it not be more suitable to make this part of whatever tcmu admin
> tools are available? I assume tcmu needs to address this, with similar
> configuration options for LVM and other backends too. Building on top of
> that may give users of tcmu a better experience.

s/tcmu/tcmu-runner/

I don't think there are separate tools/utils for tcmu-runner as of now.
Also currently we are using tcmu-runner to export the file in the
gluster volume as a iSCSI block device, in the future we may move to
qemu-tcmu (which does the same job of tcmu-runner, except it uses
qemu gluster driver) for benefits like snapshots ?

Also configuring and running tcmu-runner on each node in the cluster
for multipathing is something not easy (take the case where we have
more than a dozen of node). If we can do these via gluster CLI with
one simple command from any node, we can configure and run tcmu-runner
on all the nodes.

> If you can add such a consideration in the feature page, I'd appreciate
> it. Maybe other approaches have been discussed earlier as well? In that
> case, those approaches should probably be added too.

Sure!

--
Prasanna