[Gluster-devel] Release 3.10 feature proposal : Gluster Block Storage CLI Integration

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Wed Dec 14 06:43:05 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 11:28:52AM +0530, Prasanna Kalever wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As we know gluster block storage creation and maintanace is not simple
> today, as it involves all the manual steps mentioned at [1]
> To make this basic operations simple we would like to integrate the
> block story with gluster CLI.
>
> As part of it, we would like Introduce the following commands
>
> # gluster block create <NAME>
> # gluster block modify <SIZE> <AUTH> <ACCESS MODE>
> # gluster block list
> # gluster block delete <NAME>

I am not sure why this needs to be done through the Gluster CLI.
Creating a file on a (how to select?) volume, and then export that as a
block device through tcmu-runner (iSCSI) seems more like a task similar
to what libvirt does with VM images.

Would it not be more suitable to make this part of whatever tcmu admin
tools are available? I assume tcmu needs to address this, with similar
configuration options for LVM and other backends too. Building on top of
that may give users of tcmu a better experience.

If you can add such a consideration in the feature page, I'd appreciate
it. Maybe other approaches have been discussed earlier as well? In that
case, those approaches should probably be added too.

Thanks,
Niels